This Greek yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing is only 85 calories per serving and it tastes like the classic salad dressing!
Here we are again, it’s Thursday, and I have another homemade salad dressing for you. Truth be told, I have already thought of so many more dressings to share with you. So I am going to keep making them until you tell me to stop. Do we have a deal?
And now a healthy Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing! How could I not include a classic blue cheese dressing? This is actually a lighter version of classic blue cheese dressing since it doesn’t have the traditional mayo in it. But it tastes classic all the same.
You know what would make it even classicer? (Yes, that is a word.) A big old wedge of iceberg lettuce and some crumbled bacon and some chives. Maybe a cherry tomato or three. Actually, I WAS going to shoot it on a wedge salad, really I was, but I couldn’t get my act together to buy a head of iceberg. That is not something I normally stock in my fridge. Like ever. It is like the junk food of produce. So I’ll have to do that another time and give the wedge its own little post.
Confession: the reason there is a lack of act-togetherness and of iceberg, bacon, blue cheese synergy going on here has to do with the fact that I have been racing around this week getting ready to go on a mini vacation with some girlfriends. I mean, a girl can’t go to Mexico without sunscreen! Yep, we’re ditching the kids and husbands for four nights and heading out for a girls gone wild trip to Cancun. Get ready for the woo girls.
I am scared and excited all at the same time. I have never done this type of thing and it will be the longest I have been away from my babies. Ever. But I am also so excited to relax without them and not be afraid they are getting stung by scorpions. Then there is the whole fear of flying thing. I am working on that, and pretty much have decided that it has to go away. So there are some conflicted emotions, mostly excited ones. So that’s why there is no lettuce for you today, ‘cause this woo girl is booking around getting ready for Cancun!
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
- Homemade blue cheese dressing is really simple to make. Unlike vinaigrettes, you don’t have to worry about the fat and liquid separating, so you can just whisk everything together to make it.
- To make this Homemade dressing, you’ll need non-fat Greek yogurt. You can also use full-fat Greek yogurt if that is what you have on hand. I like to use Greek yogurt instead of plain regular yogurt because it is much thicker and gives the dressing a rich creamy texture!
- To give the dressing a kick of tangy sour flavor I used white wine vinegar. This is one of my favorite vinegars, and if you don’t currently use it, I highly recommend buying it. But if you don’t you can sub in white vinegar instead. You an read more about vingears here.
- As far as the crumbled blue cheese, use your favorite. I like to purchase locally made cheeses when I can, but there are some lovely European blue cheeses to try too. Maytag Blue cheese is even good in this dressing because it is so creamy. It’ll melt right into the dressing!
- To further kick up the flavor, add in minced or grated shallot. I’ve mentioned before that allium is an important part of dressing. It adds to the depth of flavor that you would surely miss! A small amount of white onion or garlic would work as a substitute in a pinch.
- Last add in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Because I like my blue cheese dressing less chunky, I like to pop all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until combined. You can make this Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing as smooth or chunky as you like. And as I said before, you can always just whisk it if you prefer to have a chunkier blue cheese dressing.
This Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing is only 85 calories per serving and tastes like the classic salad dressing. It’s also gluten-free!
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Puree yogurt, vinegar, blue cheese, oil, shallot, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
0 g Added Sugar, 0 mg Cholesterol
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 450 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: yogurt blue cheese dressing, blue cheese dressing recipe