This cranberry almond quick bread is a healthy, refined sugar-free and whole-grain recipe that makes a super holiday gift from the kitchen. It is also a kid-friendly snack for after school, or perfect to bring along if you are going to visit friends or family over the holidays.
Thank goodness the challenge for this months Recipe Redux was to make a healthier quick bread, or this quickbread would still be back in the depths of my imagination, never to grace ovens the world over.
Now, I know saying things about “gracing ovens” and such sounds a bit grandiose. But this bread IS grand. It’s stupendous!
For real, this cranberry almond quick bread is officially my new favorite quick bread recipe. Don’t tell the Sweet Potato Praline Bundtlettes or the Pumpkin Eggnog Bread that I said so, but I really heart this bread. Like I want to go steady with it– heart it.
It is almost cake-like in its texture. In fact the first version of it that I made was so sweet and cakelike I felt guilty calling it bread, since really it WAS cake. I had to pull back a bit so I could put my healthy stamp of approval on it. I did. Less oil. Less sweetener. It’s still crazy good, and is loaded with fresh cranberries and whole-grain.
Now it is just right and refined sugar free! It has a pleasant almond flavor reminiscent of marzipan with the surprise of tart cranberries to balance it.
Hey, one more thing! Did you know you can order signed copies of my cookbook online? Here is the link. All you have to do is fill out how you want me to personalize it and we’ll ship it right to you (or whomever you’re giving it to.) Its thoughtful holiday shopping at the click of a mouse!
Everyone will love this cranberry almond quickbread this holiday season. It is whole-grain and refined sugar free. It makes a great home-made gift from the kitchen.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/3 cup organic canola oil or avocado oil
- 2/3 cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk, lactose-free if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cranberries, roughly chopped in food processor
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 8.5x4.5x2.5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk white whole-wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat egg whites with a hand-held mixer on high until medium peaks form.
- Whisk egg yolks, oil, maple or coconut sugar, milk, vanilla, and almond extract in a large bowl. Add the almond flour mixture and stir to combine with a silicone spatula. Fold the egg whites into the batter until only a few streaks of whites remain. Fold in cranberries until just combined. Spread into the prepared baking dish. Top with almonds and turbinado (if using.)
- Bake until the bread has risen, is deeply golden brown and springs back when lightly touched on top, 45 to 50 minutes.
More Holiday Baking From the Archives!