sweet potato cheddar soup with chipotle
Creamy smooth Sweet Potato soup gets a smoky kick from chipotle and a tangy burst from sharp cheddar melted right in.
Sweet Potato Cheddar Soup with Chipotle
Here is another recipe I developed for Cabot Creamery Cooperative using their new collection of Farmers’ Legacy Cheeses. This one is a sure crowd pleaser because it combines the flavors of BFFs Chipotle and Sweet potato with sharp cheddar cheese. I added in a bit of cider vinegar, for contrast and brightness. It helps balance the sweetness from the onion and sweet potatoes.
Each two-cup serving is filling enough to serve as a vegetarian main course along with a hunk of crusty whole-grain farm bread, or these savory muffins with leeks and Parmesan.
It freezes really well. Which makes me happy because I like to serve soup for dinner one night and then freeze the left-overs in single serving storage containers for lunches. My hubbie is all about packing his lunch now (and it helped him loose weight just from that one simple change.)
Cabot Fit Team
Besides this soup, I have some more exciting news to share today on the Cabot front: I made the Cabot Fit Team again this year! We are going to be running legs of the Vermont City Marathon in May, right here in my home state! The VCM is a ton of fun around here every Memorial Day Weekend and our little city of Burlington explodes into a flurry of fitness related activity. The coolest thing about this race is that it is not just for marathon runners. Teams can split up the distance into relay legs or half marathon lengths. So there is something for every fitness level! I just love that about it.
Here are the other bloggers who are on the Fit Team and who will be running in the race and spreading the word about running, healthy eating and fitness.
Joanne | Eats Well With Others
Kelly | Kelly the Culinarian
Marlow | Gluten Hates Me
Nicole | Prevention RD
Carissa | Fit 2 Flex
Mary | Former Senior Nutrition Editor for Cooking Light
Carolyn | All Day I Dream About Food
Kristina | Love and Zest
Robin | Knead to Cook
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 14 cups
Serving Size: 2 cups
Sweet potato and cheddar soup with spicy chipotle peppers. Can be made vegetarian with vegetable broth or with chicken broth. Gluten-free and grain free.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced or more to taste
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 sliced scallions, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in cumin and cinnamon and cook until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sweet potatoes and broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, uncovered until the potatoes are completely soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add chili and vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer a few cups of the sweet potato mixture to a blender and puree. Use caution when pureeing hot liquids. Alternatively use an immersion blender. Stir cheddar into the soup until completely melted. Serve immediately with the scallions on top.
I developed this recipe for Cabot Creamery Cooperative using their Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar and it appears here on their website. I was not compensated to write this post. All opinions expressed here are my own.