eatingwell cookbook giveaway and warm quinoa and arugula salad recipe
A show of hands, who likes to do dishes? Oh that’s funny, me neither. It’s not that I really dislike dishes, it’s just I would rather be reading a book to my daughters than scrubbing in the sink. Enter the EatingWell One Pot Meals Cookbook, by Jessie Price and the EatingWell Test Kitchen, published by Countryman Press 2011. It is packed full of healthy meals all using just one pot. And I’m giving a copy away. Right here! That’s right, it is my very first giveaway. Yipee! Rules for entry are below the recipe.
First I want to talk about the recipe I just developed for this giveaway, using only one pot.
The thing about cooking in one pot is that flavors can fall flat if you don’t take care to develop them. Especially if the dish is vegan like this one. Trust me, when I came up with the concept for this warm quinoa salad I was tempted to use more than one pot. But I wanted to see if I could make it taste really good and keep the one pot promise.
Here was my dilemma: Quinoa takes on such a rich nutty flavor when it is toasted, so I wanted to include a toasting step. I was tempted to toast it in the oven, but that would require a baking sheet. So I toasted it in the dry saucepan, swirling it around to keep it from scorching. It ended up working perfectly. Then I rinsed it to wash away the bitter saponin. I also wanted to roast the red pepper in the oven, but I opted to caramelize it in the same saucepan with the shallot. It only took about five minutes to cook it, stirring occasionally, to intensify and brown the natural sugars. The quinoa then cooks in the liquid with these caramelized vegetables and takes on their flavor. All that is mounded on top of a pile of peppery greens and drizzled with a zippy honey mustard dressing. The results were beyond yummy and I only had one pot to wash!
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups greens plus 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cup dry quinoa
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 9 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- Place quinoa in a large dry saucepan over medium-high heat. Toast quinoa, occasionally swirling the saucepan, until aromatic, starting to darken and crackle and pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour the quinoa into a large fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold running water until no longer foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add red bell pepper, shallot, herbes de provence and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 2 ½ cups water, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain simmer and cook, undisturbed, until the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, cider vinegar, mustard, honey and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper in a small dish.
- Divide arugula among 6 plates. Drizzle half of the dressing over the arugula (about 2 teaspoons per plate.) Mound quinoa on the arugula (about 2/3 cup per plate) and drizzle with the remaining dressing (another 2 teaspoons per plate.) Grind more pepper on top if desired.
The Prize: a brand new copy of the EatingWell One Pot Meals Cookbook, copyright 2011. Delivered right to your door.
How to Enter: Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite one pot meal.
Deadline: Friday, January 20th 2012, 12 noon Eastern Standard Time. Winner will be announced by 2 pm on January 21st. The winner will be announced right here, and on the HSR facebook page and on twitter. The winner will have 48 hours to contact me with his/her shipping address.
THIS GIVE-AWAY IS NOW CLOSED. THE WINNER IS NUMBER#5 JULIA VAUGHN! Congratulations Julia! Please contact me here and give me your address so I can send that out to you!
Extra Entries can be gained by any of the following shamelessly self-promoting methods:
Like HSR on Facebook: Go to the HealthySeasonalRecipes Facebook page and hit “like”, and leave me a comment on this post letting me know you did.
Twitter: Follow me @healthyseasonal on twitter and leave me a separate comment that you did on this post to gain an extra entry. Tweet this giveaway and then leave me a comment that you did on this post to gain an extra entry.
Get the newsletter: Fill out this for for the HSR newsletter. Leave me a separate comment on this post to let me know you did to gain an extra entry.
Details, Details: This giveaway is open to U.S. Residents only. No purchase necessary to enter. Winner will be selected at random through Random.org. All entries received after the giveaway closing day and time will not be considered. Entries that do not follow the entry requirements will not be considered. I’m going to check too! Winner will be announced by 2 pm on January 21st. The winner will be announced right here, on the HSR facebook page and on twitter. The winner will have 48 hours to contact me with his/her shipping address. If the winner does not reply within 48 hours, another winner will be selected.