bacon horseradish cheese ball
Home-made cheese ball made with cream cheese, cheddar, horseradish and bacon for a home-made classic holiday appetizer or party.
Happy Friday dear readers. Do you have any holiday parties this weekend? I have one tonight. Like, OMG, I totally don’t like know what I am going to wear! Just kidding. I do actually. A snow suit and some boots cause thats how Vermonters get dressed up and it is like 15 degrees out. Anywhoo, today I have a really yummy guest post from my friend Carrie from Bakeaholic Mama. You guys are going to love her! She and I know each other from having met in Maine two summers ago when we ran a race for Cabot Creamery Cooperative on the Cabot Fit team.
To be honest, I had followed her blog before that, and was a little star struck when I met her. But she quickly made me feel totally comfortable because she is just that kind of person. There is no BS with Carrie. She totally tells you like it is, she is self depricating to a fault and swears like a sailor. My kinda gal. And I just love that about her. I love that it comes through in her writing too. It is very real and genuine. You should check her out for reals. Here’s her blog. And then make sure you follow her on FB. She has a giant following and is always posting hilarious stuff and crazy yummy food. Did I already say you’ll love her. Anyway. Please follow her on other social media too. Pinterest Instagram G+ and Twitter
Hi guys! For those of you who do not know me, my name is Carrie and I blog over at Bakeaholic Mama. I am thrilled to be sharing one of my family’s favorite holiday recipes with you all on Katie’s blog today!
Cheese balls have been a staple at our annual Christmas party, every year for as long as I can remember. When I was a girl, I used to scrape all the nuts off and get into the cheesy center, which always drove my Nana crazy, ruining her pretty presentation.
Today as an adult, the nutty outer part is my favorite, paired with the cheese and a cracker, it is the best snack ever! Especially when those nuts are paired with crispy bacon.
This year, I am taking over the cheese ball making and putting my own twist on it with zesty horseradish, honey mustard, and bits of applewood smoked bacon. This is so easy to make, and it is sure to be a huge hit at all get-togethers.
Bacon horseradish and cheddar come together in a twist on the classic holiday cheese ball. Crusted in pecans and flavored with smoky bacon it is a sure crowd-pleaser. Recipe courtesy of Carrie of Bakeaholic Mama
- 1 8 oz package of Cabot Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tbs prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp honey mustard
- 2 slices applewood smoked bacon
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, using your paddle attachment, mix cream cheese, cheddar, blue cheese, diced onion, horseradish, and mustard together until combined.
- Cover cheese mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- Once the cheese has chilled overnight, remove from refrigerator and using your hands roll into a ball.
- Place cooked crispy bacon in a food processor with the pecans, and pulse until they are finely chopped.
- Pour nuts and bacon on a plate, and roll the cheese ball in the mixture until evenly coated.
- Serve with your favorite crackers, bread or vegetable sticks.
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 300 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 6 g
Do you have a cheese ball as a staple at your family get-togethers?
When you were a kid did you scrape away the nuts too?