This potato salad is made with red, white and blue potatoes, bleu cheese, creamy greek yogurt and horseradish dressing and red peppers and bacon. It makes a patriotic (and crazy yummy) barbecue side dish for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, or all summer long.
Okay, I give up. I am just going to change the name of this blog from Healthy Seasonal Recipes to SaladsWithBacon.com.
I can’t help it.
After admitting earlier this week, that I am somewhat of a one trick pony when it comes to making salads better by adding bacon, I vowed to myself to make sure that the rest of the salads I share for Salad Month would be bacon free.
And then I made this Red White and Bleu (Cheese) potato salad with creamy horseradish yogurt dressing. And it was really good.
But then I thought…. Hmmm, you know what would make this better?
Sooo, sorry I added bacon.
Hence, the forthcoming domain name change.
I am not really going to change anything. And for the record you can totally make this potato salad without the bacon. Because, there is also blue cheese. Or Bleu cheese… whichever. The addition of creamy, tangy, and pungent cheese automatically puts this recipe into the category of so good I might Burst My Pantyhose Off I am so excited to share it with you. Like once I finished testing it I was so excited I was not sure I can wait until Friday!!! That good.
Aaannnd the horseradish too. Freakin’ DUDE! YUM! All potato salad should have horseradish in it. All.
Because the whole grilled meat and horseradish thing is real and it is good. Real good.
So you’ve already got the awesomeness of the horseradish and the bleu so why oh why did you have to be that one trick pony all over again K-dubs?
Here I go again. Making a vow. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this patriotic potato salad (with or without bacon) for your Memorial day weekend. If you do let me know! Leave a comment below or tag me on social media. I love hearing about what you all are cooking!Print
Red, white and blue potatoes come together in a festive and patriotic potato salad for Memorial Day or Fourth of July barbecues. The creamy horseradish dressing, blue cheese and bacon make this a special recipe that will be devoured.
- 3 pounds small red, purple and yellow potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper, preferably white
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese (2 oz)
- 4 slices uncured bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional
- chopped parsley, for garnish if desired
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes to the basket, cover and steam until a knife tip or fork inserted into the the potatoes comes out easily, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add hot potatoes to dressing and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out in a large baking dish or sheet pan to cool quickly. Cool to room temperature, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Return the potatoes to the bowl, add peppers, onion and blue cheese (and bacon if using) and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley if using. Chill until ready to serve.
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 8 g