strawberry rhubarb shortcakes
These make-ahead Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes are a healthier twist on the classic recipe. This is the perfect (whole-grain) summer dessert showcasing the magical seasonal combination of strawberries and rhubarb!
I originally shared this recipe on June 22, 2012. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
One of my favorite summertime activities is going berry picking with my family. I love everything about it. Being outside on a beautiful day, spending time with my girls and then coming home with a boat-load of juicy, plump strawberries just begging to be turned into something utterly awesome.
This recipe is a little different from your everyday strawberry shortcake because instead of sugared sliced strawberries this is made with a spiced strawberry rhubarb compote which is actually cooked and cooled ahead of time. This is nice because it doesn’t have to be done at the last minute while your guests are staring you down as they wait for their dessert.
Friends, this compote is all that and a bag of chips! Not only is it a snap to make, trust me- watch the video below, but with the warm spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and the maple syrup to sweeten the fruit, it’s off-the-charts delicious. It may be a little unexpected to get that pop of spices in your strawberry shortcake, but it totally works!
To healthify the shortcakes, I used half whole-wheat pastry flour in the shortcakes. Coconut Oil (instead of butter) gives them a slightly exotic flavor to go with the cardamom and spices in the compote. And please don’t skip the sprinkle of demerarra sugar (or raw sugar) on the top before baking. This gives them the most delightfully sweet crunchy top that is the perfect counterpoint to the warm strawberry rhubarb compote.
And as if this wasn’t enough deliciousness, I topped it all off with a dollop of luscious cream. I also made this healthier by using a variation of a favorite EatingWell trick: I mixed whipped cream with non-fat Greek yogurt to lighten it up. Then I sweetened it with maple syrup. Get your forks ready my people!
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler by Simply Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Mint Mojitos by The Roasted Root
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette by Two Peas & Their Pod
Roasted Strawberry and Rhubarb Yogurt Parfaits by Cookie and Kate
Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita by Nutmeg NannyPrint
These Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes are a make-ahead healthier twist on the classic recipe. The perfect summer dessert showcasing the magical combination of strawberries and rhubarb!
Spiced Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch salt
- 3 cups sliced hulled strawberries
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg-white
- 2 tablespoons demerarra sugar, or raw sugar
Cardamom Yogurt Cream
- 2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- pinch cardamom
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- Additional strawberries
- Stir rhubarb, maple syrup, cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon cardamom, cloves and salt in a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring often until the rhubarb breaks down, about 10 minutes. Stir in strawberries and refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pulse pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment. Remove lid and add coconut oil and canola oil. Process until the oils are cut in and the mixture is crumbly, about 45 seconds.
- Transfer to a large bowl and create a well in the center. Stir 1 egg into milk. Pour the milk and egg mixture into the well in the flour mixture. Gently stir to incorporate the liquid into the dry. Knead gently to gather the crumbs into the dough. Turn out into the prepared dish and press out into an even layer. Cut into 12 squares. Brush the egg-white over the dough. Sprinkle the demerarra sugar over the dough. Bake until the shortcakes are set up, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
Make Yogurt Cream:
- Whisk yogurt, 1/3 cup maple syrup and cardamom in a medium bowl. Whisk whipping cream in another bowl until stiff. Gently whisk the whipping cream into the yogurt mixture until streaks no longer remain.
- Break shortcakes apart with a fork and split in half. Spoon 2 tablespoons compote and 2 generous tablespoons cream over the bottom half of the shortcake. Place the top half of the shortcake on top and then repeat with 2 more tablespoons each of compote and cream. Top with additional freshly sliced strawberries if desired.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 142 mg
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 11 g
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.