asparagus with tarragon vinaigrette
This recipe for Asparagus with Tarragon Vinaigrette is the perfect make-ahead Spring side dish that is ready in under 30 minutes. The asparagus is cooked and chilled and served with easy to make tarragon salad dressing.
I originally shared this recipe on April 13, 2011. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
“Can be made up to one day in advance.” These are magic words to a cook when he or she has company coming. I know when I entertain, I like to hook myself up the day before by prepping what I can. If I’m really organized, I like to plan the menu around dishes that won’t keep me in the kitchen instead of enjoying my guests.
For the most part, I can handle one or two hands-on recipes. But the rest have to be pretty much ready to go before people arrive. This Easter we have the whole crew coming over for an egg hunt and Brunch. That’s on top of my duties as the Easter Bunny. So that means I can handle exactly zero hands-on dishes on Easter morning.
For the main course I have ordered a maple sugar glazed ham from Harrington’s of Vermont. Not only does it have sweet maple flavor, but it is double cob smoked right here in my little (er) hamlet. They do a booming mail order business if you’re interested. I highly recommend it.
I wanted to have a springy selection of side dishes that would compliment the ham and be made the day before. So I decided tha I am going to make this asparagus with tarragon champagne vinaigrette and this creamy horseradish potato salad. Both the asparagus and the potato salad are served chilled and can be made the day before.
To make the asparagus ahead, just cook and cool the asparagus, cover it and store it in the fridge overnight. Note, the tarragon vinaigrette dressing can be made the day before too, but it needs to be held separately or it turns the asparagus a not-so-lovely shade of army green. Just drizzle it on before serving, sprinkle on a generous amount of black pepper and you’re good to go.
More Asparagus Recipes
- Fire up the grill and make Grilled Asparagus this spring. It is simple and can’t be beat!
- This Asparagus Pizza is a 30 minute springtime dinner that will spice up your pizza night!
- This basic Roasted Asparagus recipe is a jumping off point for so many flavor combos! Try it with Hollandaise or pesto!
- This Roasted Asparagus Salad with Goat Cheese or this Sesame Roasted Asparagus Salad are both worthy of your consideration this season!
- This Shaved Asparagus Salad with goat cheese and hazelnuts is an unexpected spring salad.
- This Asparagus Panzanella is a non-traditional bread salad, and topped with a poached egg makes a delicious spring brunch or supper.
- Add it to rice and chicken and you have a great one pot meal! Try my One Pot Chicken and Rice with Spring Veggies.
- My guide to asparagus contains a full list of recipes.
- Make sure to check out this collection of 35 healthy asparagus recipes too!
More Easter Brunch Recipes
To round out Easter Brunch here are some more recipe ideas that can be made ahead.
If you are gluten free, you don’t have to miss out on Carrot Cake. This Gluten-free Carrot Cake Recipe looks just about perfect!
Find asparagus cooking tips and more recipes in my guide to asparagus.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
This Asparagus with Tarragon Vinaigrette is the perfect make-ahead Spring side dish to add to your Easter menu. It is ready in under 30 minutes and just also happens to be vegetarian and Paleo friendly!
- Salt for boiling water plus ¾ teaspoon, divided
- 3 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, peeled if desired
- 1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water. Add asparagus to the boiling water and cook until crisp tender and bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the asparagus and transfer to the ice bath to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine shallot, olive oil, vinegar, honey, tarragon, Dijon and the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Arrange asparagus on a platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and grind tons of pepper on top.
0 mg Cholesterol, 2 g Added Sugars
To make ahead: Prepare through step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Store cooked and cooled asparagus and dressing separately, covered in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 228 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: asparagus with tarragon vinaigrette,make ahead asparagus,asparagus vinaigrette