These No-Bake Clementine Rum Balls are the perfect easy and unexpected addition to your Christmas cookie collection this holiday season. They are vegan and dairy free, and have no corn syrup or trans fats!
I make these Clementine Rum Balls almost every year at Christmas time, and have since I first shared them here on the blog back in 2010. They are so easy to make, and they are so different from everything else on the cookie platter, you really get a lot of bang for your effort.
Here are three reasons to add these fabulous Clementine Rum Balls to your cookie collection this holiday season.
Why You Should Make These Clementine Rum Balls
1. They are made with graham crackers, instead of “Nilla Wafers.” [Try to find a brand that doesn’t have trans fat.]
2. They are different from any old rum ball recipes that have been passed around since the ’60s because these are flavored with clementines and toasted pecans. Three, they’re no-bake so they are simple as can be.
3. I roll half of them in unsweetened coconut and the other half in cocoa powder. I love coconut, but I know that everyone is different, and some people don’t care for it. I would hate for the coconut on the outside to be a reason for someone to pass these little rum balls up!
When I am feeling particularly crafty, I package them up in tins. I keep them in the freezer.
Here I am on WCAX making these Clementine Rum Balls last Christmas.
Beware, these are boozy!
clementine rum balls
Clementine Rum Balls. These Vegan and No-Bake Christmas cookies are such a yummy and unexpected addition to your holiday cookie collection!
- 1 14.5- ounce box graham crackers makes about 3 1/2 cups crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup pecans toasted and cooled (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted and divided
- 1/2 cup dark or black rum
- 1 tablespoon clementine zest plus 1/2 cup clementine juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Break grahams into pieces and process in two batches in food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl. Place confectioners sugar and pecans in the food processor and process until the nuts are finely ground. Transfer to the bowl with the graham crumbs. Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder and stir thouroughly. Mix rum, clementine zest, clementine juice and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour over the crumb mixture and stir to form a sticky dough. Let sit 10 minutes in the fridge to firm up.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder on a plate or shallow dish. Place the coconut on another plate or dish.
- Roll 1 tablespoon portions of the crumb dough into balls. Roll half of the balls, one at a time, into the cocoa powder. Roll the other half of the balls into the coconut. [You may need to put a little coconut into your hands to press the coconut into the dough as you roll to get it to stick.]
Store in the freezer for up to one month.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.