Salad month continues with a healthy shredded carrot salad. This one has dill, parsley and crumbled feta cheese and it is tossed with lemony dressing. I added in whole mustard seeds to for an unexpected twist. I am also giving away a custom-made farmers’ market/ beach bag made by an awesome local Vermont company called Flash Bags!
Flash Bags are so cool they are made right here in Vermont from recycled paper. If you’ve never heard of these awesome custom bags before, here is the description of just what they are from the owner Laura:
With every Flashbag™, we begin with a print, add laminate, layer with recycled newspaper (ten layers in each panel), and embroider by hand. We retain the compositional feel of every image, cropping as little as possible and letting the image resonate edge to edge, inside and out. Flashbags™ are custom products like no other – funky, classy, and heartwarming. Have fun!
Laura even sent me a custom sample bag to keep for myself! How fun! I got to send in my own photos and she put together the design. Of course I sent some of my food photography which will be perfect for the farmers’ market this summer don’t you think? It is remarkably durable because of the lamination process and the seams are very sturdy too.
Customers can also choose from pre-designed collages like this good eats design. Now that I am thinking about it, I may have to have another one made with pics of my girls too. We had two family photo sessions recently: one with Kristy Dooley and another with J Harper and I am practically dripping with cute photos to show off. How fun would that be for a beach tote? The prize is a gift card that will cover the cost of an extra-large tote.Use the rafflecopter widget to enter the giveaway. Don’t worry it’s easy!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Now on to this salad! It is so yummy. And we are finally making a dent in the carrot situation around here as a result. We’ve already made it for dinner twice mid-week. It is really easy to whip together (especially if you have a food processor for the grating.) Also you can easily double it, and bring it to a potluck or barbecue. It is really yummy with grilled meat. We had it with lamb and everyone loved it.
Looking for more side dish and barbecue salad ideas?
- Five Bean Salad and Lots of other side dish ideas
- I also love this mango salad with rhubarb ginger dressing and chili almonds from Laura
- My sister made an amazing massaged kale salad like this one for the Kentucky Derby party and I have been dreaming of it since.
- A few easy recipes and 25 tips for a healthy barbecue.
- A recipe for Moroccan Carrots and summertime memories.
Shredded carrot salad with dill, feta and whole mustard seeds with lemony dressing.
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded peeled carrots
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley, preferably curley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Mash garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle. Toast mustard seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the seeds are fragrant and start to brown and crackle, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the seeds to the mortar and pestle (don’t mash) and stir in lemon juice, Dijon and honey with a whisk or fork. Add olive oil and whisk or stir to combine.
- Combine carrots, parsley and dill in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing. Toss to combine. Transfer to a platter or serving dish and serve sprinkled with feta.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 224 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Discolsure: I received a free Flash Bag but was not compensated for thei post in any other way. All opinions expressed here are my own.