Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
If you have been looking for a crunchy, savory, addictive and healthy snack, you’re in the right place. These Crispy Roasted Chickpeas will rock your world. With only five ingredients these crunchy garbanzo beans are ready in just 25 minutes and come in at just 128 calories per serving! They would be a perfect addition to your Superbowl celebration, too!
Table of contents
I always say that I would step on a cupcake to get to a bowl of pita chips. When I have a craving it’s not for something sweet, but something salty, tangy and crunchy like lacinato kale chips. Boy did I hit the jackpot with this baked chickpeas recipe. And considering they are gluten-free, nut-free, diary-free and vegan they are a perfect roasted chickpeas snack!
This recipe is excerpted from The 30-Minute Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. It’s written by two dietitians, Serena Ball and Deanna Segrave. Their love of food coupled with their nutritional knowledge shines through on their blog Teaspoon of Spice. This cookbook is full of super flavorful Mediterranean-inspired recipes that are ready in 30 minutes or less.
In addition to olive oil and salt this version of baked chickpeas has fresh thyme and orange zest. It is the perfect flavor combination to capitalize on the crunchy on the outside, but creamy on the inside quality of the roasted chickpeas. The thyme and salt add a great savory note, while the orange zest adds a subtle zing of freshness. You may want to make a double batch!
How To Make This Roasted Chickpea Recipe
- Dry those chickpeas. In order to get them crispy on the outside they need to be dry. You don’t want mushy steamed chickpeas do you?
- Oil up those chickpeas. It doesn’t take much, just 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil for a 15 ounce can. But the combination of the oil and contact with the baking sheet will result in uber-crunchy chickpeas.
- Heat is your friend. Baking them at a high heat (450 degrees) really creates that crispy exterior and keeps the creamy inside texture. The key is to watch them closely and shake the pan occasionally to make sure they don’t burn. If you have an oven that runs hot, you may want to consider lowering the heat to 400 or 425 degrees and possibly roasting them for a bit longer if needed.
- Get creative with the flavors. Mixing up the flavor combinations like cumin and lime zest or curry powder and ground ginger will keep the awesome snack from getting boring. I can’t wait to try Serena’s favorite combo of unsweetened cocoa powder and smoked paprika. Whoa! So open up that spice cabinet and get a little crazy!
How To Store Oven Roasted Chickpeas
This roasted chickpeas snack is best eaten the day it is made. Inevitably no matter how you store them they will not be as crispy the next day. That is not to say they aren’t still super tasty and you can re-crisp them in the oven if you wanted to. Just remember that moisture is the enemy of these oven roasted chickpeas.
Roasted Chickpeas Don’ts:
- Don’t store them in plastic bags or containers.
- Don’t put them in the refrigerator, as long as they are crispy and mostly dry they can be stored at room temperature for a couple of days.
Roasted Chickpeas Dos:
- Store them in a glass container with the lid slightly ajar.
- Even better would be to store them in a parchment or paper bag or in a bowl covered with a paper towel.
- These storage options allow air to circulate around them and keep them drier and crispier.
More Healthy Snacks You’ll Love
More Chickpea Recipes
- We love adding chickpeas to every meal of the day! Try this Chickpea Stew with Moroccan Flavors for dinner.
- Learn how to make chickpea salad for lunch and you will never wonder what’s for lunch again.
- Our Chickpea Burgers with Brown Rice are a great meatless alternative to burgers.
- This Roasted Eggplant and Chickpea Salad and this Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad are two more favorites.
- We added chickpeas to our Israeli Cous Cous Salad and this Grilled Corn and Chickpea Salad for more plant-based protein and fiber too.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
These Crispy Roasted Chickpeas will rock your world. With only five ingredients these little babies are ready in just 25 minutes and come in at just 128 calories per serving! Bonus that they are gluten free, nut free, diary free and vegan, too!
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Zest of 1/2 orange (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Spread the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel, and rub gently until dry.
Spread the chickpeas on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the thyme and salt. Using a microplane or citrus zester, zest half of the orange over the chickpeas. Mix well using your hands.
Bake for 10 minutes, then give the baking sheet a quick shake. (Do not remove the baking sheet from the oven). Bake for 10 minutes more. Taste the chickpeas (carefully). If they are golden, but need to be crispier, bake for 3 minutes more.
Change up the flavor combination of this fun snack. Try 1/4 teaspoon each of cumin and lime zest or try 1/4 teaspoon each of curry powder and ginger. Serena’s favorite combo is 1/4 teaspoon each of unsweetened cocoa power and smoked paprika.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: snack
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 128
- Sodium: 299 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: chickpeas, snack, nut-free, gluten-free, vegan, 5 ingredients, 30 minutes or less