Whether you have a friend with Celiac disease or your child needs to bring in a gluten-free snack to school, it always helps to have a few gluten-free recipes up your sleeve. I happen to have a whole three-ring binder up mine. That’s because when I was a personal chef, I had a client who was gluten-free.
This is a recipe I used to make regularly for her. It comes from a recipe she gave me when I started cooking for her. I’m not even sure where she got it to begin with. Her original recipe was good, but of course I had to put my healthy spin on it. I’ve switched the butter out for heart-healthy canola oil and used whole-grain brown rice flour for its nutty taste and extra fiber. The best part is that it is really moist because it has two cups of applesauce in it.
I have two tips to share. One is that if you can find orange blossom honey it tastes amazing in this recipe. It is intoxicatingly floral. The other is that you can cut this cake into servings, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them in a freezer Ziplock. Just defrost at room temperature or microwave it for 20 to 30 seconds.
- 2 eggs
- Zest from 1 orange or lemon
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce, preferably home-made
- ½ cup honey, orange blossom if available
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Puree eggs, zest, applesauce, honey and oil in a blender or food processor. Whisk flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gradually stir the dry into the wet and stir until combined. Immediately spread out into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until golden brown and the cake springs back when lightly touched, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
25 mg Cholesterol, 8.6 g Added Sugar
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive a free eCookbook. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.