cabot cheddar giveaway and roasted garlic cheddar bisque
With my oldest daughter heading off to Kindergarten this week, the weather promising to get cooler, and the evenings coming earlier, I am feeling a little bit in need of some comfort. Like big-bowl-of-soup comfort. Like big-bowl-of-creamy-cheesy-soup comfort, to be more specific.
I heart cheese!
That’s why I am beyond excited that Cabot Creamery has been so generous to sponsor a Cheddar Cheese giveaway right here at Healthy Seasonal Recipes!
Here is what Cabot is giving away to one lucky winner: Two eight-ounce blocks of each of the following cheeses: 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar, sharp cheddar, extra-sharp cheddar, and seriously sharp cheddar (my family’s fave.) That’s four POUNDS of cheese! Yeehaw!
Entering the contest is easy, all you have to do is leave a comment below letting me know your favorite way to cook with cheddar cheese. Read details about it and how to gain additional entries below the recipe for this creamy, cheesy roasted garlic soup.
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups each
- 3 whole heads garlic
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, sliced and washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 pounds thin-skinned waxy potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4-ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Cut ends of garlic head off with a serrated knife exposing individual tips of garlic cloves. Place root-side down on a double layer of aluminum foil and drizzle 1 teaspoon oil over the exposed garlic clove ends. Wrap foil into a packet and transfer to the oven (seam side-up.) Roast garlic until soft, fragrant and starting to brown, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and open packet and allow garlic to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leek, thyme and salt and cook, stirring often until the leek is softened and starting to brown slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and boil until the wine is almost completely evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Add broth or stock and potatoes, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer, remove lid and continue simmering until the potatoes are very soft, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Squeeze the soft roasted garlic out of the papery skins into the soup. Puree in batches until desired consistency. USE CAUTION WHEN BLENDING HOT LIQUIDS! Stir in cheese.
Prize: a $25 value Cheddar Cheese gift box furnished by Cabot Creamery.
How to Enter: Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite way to cook with cheddar cheese.
Deadline: THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
The winner is: Ema, comment number 7!
Ema will have 48 hours to contact me with her shipping address. That’s noon EST on September 5th, 2012.
UPDATE 9/5/12. 12:03pm. Unfortunately, Ema didn’t respond within the 48-hour window, so she will be no longer be eligible for the prize. A new number has been selected COMMENT #18! Karen who loves cheddar in her Macoroni and Cheese. Me too, Karen! Congratulations and enjoy your cheddar prize pack.
Extra Entries can be gained by any of the following methods:
Up to 3 more entries on Twitter:
- Follow Cabot Co-op on Twitter and then leave a separate comment here below this post.
- Follow me @healthyseasonal on twitter and leave me another comment at the bottom of this post.
- Tweet this giveaway and then leave me a comment that you did on this post to gain an extra entry.
Get the newsletter: Fill out this form to recieve the Healthy Seasonal Recipes newsletter. I only send it out once a month, so don’t worry about too much email, from me at least. And I don’t share email addresses. Leave me a separate comment on this post to let me know you signed up to gain an extra entry.
Details, Details: This giveaway is open to U.S. Residents only. No purchase necessary to enter. Winner will be selected at random through Random.org. All entries received after the giveaway closing day and time will not be considered. Entries that do not follow the entry requirements will not be considered. I’m going to check too! Winner will be announced by 2 pm on September 3rd. The winner will be announced right here, on the HSR facebook page and on twitter. The winner will have 48 hours to contact me with his/her shipping address. If the winner does not reply within 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Extra-sharp cheddar was provided to The Chef Next Door LLC for recipe development process to accompany this give-away was provided by Cabot Creamery.