one pan roasted squash, apple, and sausage dinner
Fast family-friendly weeknight meals like this simple One Pan Roasted Squash, Apple and Sausage Dinner are so helpful to have on hand!
This fall, weekdays have been going by in a flurry. How have the girls been back in school for almost a full month already?? We have after school activities almost every day. I’m thinking I need to paint my car school bus yellow…
The weekends this September have been busy too, and equally as productive. Jase is building us a real sugar house for maple season next spring. Woohoo. This backyard sugaring operation is about to go legit! The sugar house, is coming right along and it’s a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since Jase is obsessed with out buildings and sugaring, so I should have known it would be more than a shack!
Last weekend, I went to Blog Brulee at Smugglers’ Notch to speak about food photography. It was my second year with the honor of being invited to talk about food photography for food bloggers, and I had a wonderful time. And I learned a lot too.
My girls and I went also went apple picking at my favorite local orchard. We picked McIntosh and Galas. The Honey Crisp were only available pre-picked in the farm store, and I paid a premium for a bag of those as well. They are totally and completely worth it!
I have been baking and cooking with the apples since we brought them all home. Luckily, I have a second fridge in the basement, so I haven’t been worried about them going bad. I hope they last until Thanksgiving. If we don’t eat them all first! I used some of the apples in this one-pan sausage dinner recipe today, and I have at least two more recipes coming soon with apples so be on the lookout for those in the next couple of weeks.
Creating This One-Pan Dinner Recipe
So, speaking of this one-pan dinner recipe… um, you guys. Trust me, you are going to LOVE the taste of this sausage dinner! The flavor is so good.
The butternut squash gets roasted for a little bit, because it takes longer than everything else, then I added in kale from our garden, our fresh picked local apples and sliced organic Applegate Organic Chicken Apple Sausage.
Friends, I’m in love with the whole one-pan dinner concept! They’re so easy to make and clean up! So check out this Lemon Butter Chicken from Veggie Balance. It’s another awesome one-pan dinner featuring chicken. I also have been loving this sheet pan salmon dinner with Moroccan Spice and this Chicken Sheet Pan dinner with Broccoli and Honey Sriracha Sauce.
Adding More Flavor
I have to confess, I sent an earlier draft of it to Sarah, who helps me with cross-testing, and she sent the test report back requesting more flavor. You don’t have to tell a flavor hound like me to up the flavor more than once!
- I added smoked paprika, nutmeg and Dijon mustard.
- Plus it has sherry vinegar and dark maple syrup.
I am so glad she did say something, because though I liked it pretty well when I sent it to her the first time, after I added some oomph, now it is simply delicious! Like everybody-had-seconds-good!
How to Make This One-Pan Sausage Dinner
This one-pan dinner recipe comes together in about 45 minutes and requires very little hands on prep work. To make this sausage dinner, simply:
- Remove the seeds from the butternut squash
- Cut up a butternut squash
- Slice a few links of chicken apple sausage
- Shred the kale
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Toss the squash in a little olive oil and spices and roast for 10 minutes.
- Then, add the rest of the produce and sausage to the baking tray and roast for another 20 minutes or so, until the apples and squash have softened.
- Take the sheet pan out of the oven and immediately toss everything with a mixture of sherry vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup.
Menu Pairing Ideas For Roasted Squash, Apple, and Sausage dinner
For an easy fall appetizer, you could make this Pumpkin Pie Dip with apple slices.
This is pretty much a one pan meal recipe, but you could serve it with some Simple Skillet Green Beans if you want to fill out the plate with more veggies.
This sausage dinner is best enjoyed right away, but leftovers will keep in the fridge for a few days.
More sausage recipes:Print
Fall means busier schedules, so this one pan roasted squash, apple and sausage dinner is a perfect fast family-friendly weeknight meal!
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium-small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks (1 ½ to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 small apples, cored and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 4 links chicken apple sausages, sliced
- 4 cups finely shredded kale
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Shake vinegar, maple syrup and mustard in a small jar.
- Meanwhile, toss squash, oil, smoked paprika, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a large bowl to coat. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer squash to the oven and roast 10 minutes. Add apples, sausage and kale and toss to coat. Return to the oven and roast, stirring once or twice until the apples are softened and the squash is tender, about 18 to 22 minutes longer. Remove from the oven.
- Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the roasted mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2 1/4 cups
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 905 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 13 g