hoisin-glazed turkey meatballs
I love these Hoisin Glazed Turkey Meatballs with water chestnuts for an unexpected Superbowl appetizer.
I love the Super Bowl. It gives us a great excuse to get together with friends and have a good time on what would otherwise be a sleepy Sunday evening. I love the spread of noshers and the clever commercials. Oh, yeah and the football too.
I read somewhere that on Super Bowl Sunday, Americans consume enough Guacamole to fill a football field up to your waist! I’m not sure if that is true or not, but it gets me thinking that we need some new ideas for fun football snacks.
This Super Bowl Sunday, break out of the mold and serve these sweet and savory turkey meatballs instead of the usual chips and guac. They are super easy, taking only 20 minutes of prep time. They are healthy and satisfying because they are made with lean ground turkey. And they are loaded with flavor because they have ginger and seasonings that will tickle your taste buds.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 26 meatballs
Serving Size: 3 meatballs
Calories per serving: 140
Fat per serving: 7.2 g
Saturated fat per serving: 1.5 g
Carbs per serving: 7 g
Protein per serving: 12 g
Fiber per serving: 0.8 g
Sugar per serving: 3.3 g
Sodium per serving: 315 mg
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root, preferably grated with a rasp-style grater
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek sauce (see *ingredient note) or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions, minced plus sliced scallion greens for garnish, divided
- 1/2 cup drained, finely chopped water chestnuts
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup purchased Hoisin Sauce (see *ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Black and/or white sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk Tamari or soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, sambal or crushed red pepper and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in cornstarch until smooth. Stir in 2 minced scallions and water chestnuts. Stir in turkey until completely combined.
- Drop turkey mixture by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet, gently re-shaping into ball shapes if necessary. Lightly coat the balls with cooking spray and transfer to the oven. Bake until the meat is cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Stir Hoisin sauce, cilantro and lime juice in a large bowl. Add the cooked meatballs and gently stir to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining sliced scallions and sesame seeds and serve hot with toothpicks.
105 mg Phosphorus, 45 mg Cholesterol, 2.6 g Added Sugars
*ingredient note: Available in the Asian section of large supermarkets and health food stores.
- 15 New Years Eve Recipes
- 15 Meatball Recipes You Must Try
- Gluten Free Hoisin Glazed Turkey Meatballs | This Mama Cooks! On a Diet™
- 22 Game Day Recipes - Gal on a Mission
- Healthy Recipes Meatballs | ksmile88-for people
- SOMERSET APARTMENTS – 3 Healthy Recipes for Your Super Bowl Party in Your Montebello Apartment
- 110 Recipes For A Winning Super Bowl Party - Drugstore Divas
- Sunday Swarm: 30 Options for a Healthier Game Day | Smart Girls Lift
- Smart Girls Lift
- 80+ Healthy, Gluten Free Appetizer Recipes - Food Faith Fitness
- 80+ Healthy, Gluten Free Appetizer Recipes • Freebie City | Freebie City
- 25 Must Make New Year's Eve Party Appetizers » Tales From the Nursery
- 25 Must Make New Year's Eve Party Appetizers
- black bean hummus - Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- Awesome Game Day Appetizers Printables - Organized Island
- Superbowl Party Round Up
- Munchie Monday 2/29 | Cute and Classy
Leave a Reply
Today I have another goat cheese recipe to share with you.This time it's an Italian antipasto platter with white bean... more
Healthy Pizza is this month’s Recipe Redux theme, just in time for the Super bowl. These mini pizzas (or pizzettes... more