To make ahead: These can be wrapped individually in plastic wrap, closed in a re-sealable freezer bag and frozen for up to 1 month. Remove plastic wrap, wrap muffin in a paper towel and microwave until just warmed through or defrost at room temperature.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, sliced, see prep tip*
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoons white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk, see substitution tip*
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add leeks and cook, stirring often until softened but not browned 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Whisk white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl. Stir in the flour mixture, the leeks and Parmesan cheese until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until the muffins have risen, are light golden and spring back when touched lightly, 22 to 24 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan before turning them out onto a cooling rack to cool.
2 g added sugars, 40 mg cholesterol
Substitution tip* for buttermilk: Place 1 tablespoon lemon juice in the bottom of a measuring cup. Fill to the one cup mark with milk.
Cut off dark outer greens leaving just the white and light green part. Slice lengthwise, and then slice into strips crosswise.
Tansfer to a bowl of cold water and swish around to get all the dirt out from between the layers. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Lift the clean leek out leaving the sand at the bottom of the bowl. Lay out on a towel to dry.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.