These Leek and Parmesan Muffins are a perfect make-ahead kid-friendly breakfast or snack! They are filled with healthy and filling whole grains and are also low in sugar.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, sliced, see prep tip*
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoons white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk, see substitution tip*
- ¼ cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add leeks and cook, stirring often until softened but not browned 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Whisk white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl. Stir in the flour mixture, the leeks and Parmesan cheese until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until the muffins have risen, are light golden and spring back when touched lightly, 22 to 24 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan before turning them out onto a cooling rack to cool.
2 g added sugars, 40 mg cholesterol
Substitution tip* for buttermilk: Place 1 tablespoon lemon juice in the bottom of a measuring cup. Fill to the one cup mark with milk.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven/stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 316 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: leek muffin,savory muffin,how to clean a leek