home made pumpkin puree and brown rice pumpkin risotto
How to home made make pumpkin puree from scratch and a recipe for brown rice pumpkin risotto.
This week I pulled a favorite healthy seasonal recipe out of the archives to talk a little bit about how to cook a pumpkin. The original post/recipe for brown rice pumpkin risotto calls for pureed pumpkin, which you can either make from scratch or use canned. I never mentioned how one goes about making it from scratch.
So here is what you do: First of all, make sure you start with a cooking pumpkin. I bought mine at a grocery store, but you will also be able to find them at Farmers’ Markets. These will typically be smaller than the carving type and will be labeled something like “pie pumpkin.” Mine were a variety called “sugar baby.” These cooking pumpkins are less fibrous and make smoother sweeter puree.
Then you just roast them (or even microwave them,) scoop out the cooked flesh and puree it. I made a large batch, and divided it up into smaller portions to freeze.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 3 cups (about 1 pound 10 ounces)
How to make home-made pumpkin puree. Pie pumpkins or sugar baby pumpkins make smoother sweeter puree than carving pumpkins.
- 2 small cooking pumpkins, such as sugar baby, about 4 pounds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut pumpkins in half along the equator. Scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp in the center. Place pumpkin halves (cut side down) on the prepared pan and roast until they are soft, about an hour. You can tell they are done if you poke the skin and the meat gives way underneath. Alternatively, place two halves cut side down in a 9 by 13-inch microwave safe baking dish with a half inch of water. Microwave on high power, until soft, 15 to 17 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pumpkin halves.
- Allow the pumpkins to cool. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and puree in a food processor or with a food mill.
Here is that Risotto Recipe I mentioned. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 3/4 cup each
Healthy Brown Rice Risotto Recipe with pureed pumpkin.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium broth, such as chicken or vegetable
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 cups pureed cooked pumpkin, or
- 1 15-ounce can canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring often until softened and just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring until the rice grains start to get translucent in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and cook, stirring often until the wine has mostly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, sage and cinnamon, return to a simmer, and cook, stirring often until the mixture is thickened and the rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 3/4 cup Romano cheese, cover and let sit 5 minutes off the heat to thicken further. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, more freshly ground pepper and sage leaves for garnish.
- 11 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes for Fall - Life by DailyBurn
- 15 Homemade Delicious Brown Rice Dishes
- 21 Delicious Pumpkin Dishes - Kristi Trimmer
- 21 Perfect Pumpkin Main Dishes | Moms Don't Say That!
- Unique Pumpkin Recipes for Fall - Moms Confession
- Brown Rice Pumpkin Risotto with Mushrooms, Zucchini and Spinach | Kelly Toups, RD, LDN
- Yummy Pumpkin dinner recipes you must try!
- 51 Irresistible Recipes You Can Make with a Can of Pumpkin | Blended
- BEST Savory Pumpkin and Squash Recipes » LeelaLicious
- 25 Savory Pumpkin Recipes #FlavorsSwap And #RecipeIdeas