Sunglasses, barbeques, thunder storms, sunscreen and lots of weeds in the garden have arrived here in Vermont. And with it, my mood has shifted from making-over cold-weather comfort food to whipping up light easy summer fare. You know the type of dishes you can put together relatively easily, take to a pot-luck or just have on hand in the fridge for a quick healthy bite to eat? Yeah, that’s what kinda mood I’m in.
Today I have this five bean salad with edamame, curry, mint and cilantro, a.k.a. crazy bean salad. It doesn’t take long to make, and is flavor forward. Perfect for serving with grilled meat or chicken. My friend David just posted a healthy black bean salad recipe last week, and like his, this one tastes better the next day.
I also pulled together a line-up of other favorite healthy summer side salads perfect for pot-lucks and barbeques.
I also have put together a lovely little Summertime inspiration board at Pinterest. What are your favorite summertime sides?
- 2 cups 1 ½-inch pieces of trimmed green beans
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups shelled frozen edamame, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment over high heat. Add green beans to the steamer and cook until crisp tender, 3 ½ to 4 ½ minutes. Remove green beans from steamer and spread out to cool.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, curry and salt in a large bowl. Add kidney beans, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, edamame, chives, cilantro, mint and the cooked green beans and stir until completely mixed and the beans are coated in the dressing and herbs. Chill until ready to serve.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.