roasted potatoes with apples, sausage and maple mustard glaze
Sometimes I feel as if the busyness of our lives is directly proportional to the minutes of daylight. I’m not complaining at all though. I am actually having a blast, and I sure do love the extra daylight. Right now, we’re digging up and moving three of my perennial beds, and I am currently working on two food features for two different magazines. How cool is that?!! I’m also squeezing in training for a half marathon, helping my 3 year old with her Suzuki violin practice [you should see the size of her violin, it really is the smallest violin in the world] and my 5 year old’s dance performance preparations… You get the picture. I’m sure most of you are in the same boat in your own lives. So you’re probably like me and need some ideas for easy dinners.
Here is a one-pan recipe I am loving right now. It is inspired by the red and gold thin-skinned potatoes and storing apples we’ve been getting from our spring CSA share. To that I add chicken sausage and a speedy maple mustard glaze. It is sweet and savory, and most importantly doesn’t require much attention from me.
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups each
- 1 ½ pounds small potatoes, such as red, blue or gold, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 6 c.)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 links fully-cooked chicken sausage, sliced (12-ounces)
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2 –inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss potatoes, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until coated. Spread out in a large heavy roasting pan. Roast 10 minutes. While potatoes roast, stir sausage, apples mustard, maple syrup and vinegar together in the bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Remove roasting pan from the oven. Scrape potatoes up from the pan with a spatula. Add sausage, apples and the mustard mixture to the potatoes and toss to combine. Return to the oven and bake, stirring once or twice until the potatoes and apples are tender and the glaze is caramelized, 45 to 50 minutes.