Here is the Chicken and Chickpea Green Goddess Power Salad recipe I talked about yesterday. It is really special and deserves its own post. It has cucumbers, paper thin ribbons of carrot and crumbled feta cheese. The chicken is marinated in a garlic and red wine vinegar marinade. The dressing is home-made Green Goddess made with avocado, tahini and buttermilk.
I was inspired to come up with this recipe when Jase and I took the girls to lunch at Healthy Living after BodyPump last weekend. My 7-year old surprised the heck out of me by asking for a salad for her lunch. I helped her build a big beautiful salad with marinated tofu and tahini dressing. I was starving and I ended up making myself a giant salad too. I added some feta and cucumbers to mine too. As we all sat in the cafe devouring our salads my daughter said, “Mommy you should make a big salad like this for your blog.” I thought that was a good idea. So if you read my post yesterday about how to write a better recipe, then you already basically know this recipe. The first test I did was okay but not really worthy of sharing with you guys. Frankly the chicken was under-seasoned and bland and there was too much dressing. The dressing was too thick at first so I added water and buttermilk to it. But then there was way too much. It was a little bitter too. So I knew I had to make some adjustments.
I ended up fixing it and dropped the amount of dressing, added a bit more acid and salt and viola! Amazingness in a bowl. Really. Don’t think since I didn’t wax on about it for the last five minutes it doesn’t rock. It totally does. And it will give you big, strong, goddess-like muscles too. It has 36 grams of protein!
Need another idea for using Tahini? How about these two recipes from the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes:
Want another springtime recipe with Tarragon? How about this beautiful platter of asparagus with tarragon vinaigrette.
Gluten-free and protein packed entree salad with garlic marinated chicken, chickpeas, feta cheese and home-made Green Goddess salad dressing.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, tenders removed
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning herb mix
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1/3 cup non-fat buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons sesame tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon, optional
- 8 cups spring greens, washed and spun dry
- 1 carrot, peeled, and cut into paper-thin ribbons with vegetable peeler
- ½ European cucumber, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place garlic cloves in a large re-sealable bag, press air out and seal the bag. Smash garlic with the smooth side of a meat mallet. Open bag and add chicken breasts. Press air out of bag and reseal. Pound meat through the bag until the thickest part of the breast is level with the thinnest, about 3/4 -inch thick. Open bag again and add tenders, ¼ cup water, 3 tablespoons vinegar, Italian herb mix and ½ teaspoon salt. Press out air and reseal bag and agitate until the chicken is coated in the herb garlic mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Oil grill rack . Grill chicken until no-longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest about 5 minutes before cutting into chunks.
- Puree avocado, buttermilk, the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, tahini, chives, parsley, tarragon and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a mini prep or food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Arrange greens in four bowls. Top with carrot, cucumber, chickpeas, feta and the chicken. Drizzle dressing over the salads and serve.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.