I have been bursting to share these Tangerine Protein Pancakes with you guys! I added them to the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes because I am so in love with them and I know you will be too. Not only are they naturally gluten-free but they have 9 grams of protein each. And they are made from totally normal ingredients like oats and eggs and one of my favorite seasonal ingredients for the winter: tangerines!
I am so excited for you to try these protein pancakes because I know that you’ll fall in love!
I’ll admit that I have had limited experience with protein pancakes, and until now I was not really interested in having more experience with them because I wasn’t a fan. They were more like omelet pancakes or crepe pancakes than pancake pancakes. Well, folks, these protein pancakes are a game changer.
They are like pancakes. They ARE pancakes. Are you with me?
The oats make them leathery and chewy and not strange and eggy. Even though there is a lot of egg in them.
The cottage cheese is such a sneaky ingredient because it is really high in protein, but it has a neutral flavor, unlike Greek Yogurt which is sour. So you can’t tell it’s in there.
Don’t worry, I bet you’re thinking about the texture of cottage cheese, and I know that it sounds gross to put cottage cheese in your pancakes. But good news: the cottage cheese and the oats are completely pureed in the blender so the texture works out great.
But really the super special thing about these is the tangerine!!! What I did was I zested and juiced one of the tangerines and blended that up with the eggs, oats and cottage cheese. Then I added in chunks of tangerine and just pulsed that in. The vanilla and the tangerine flavor together is sort of like a creamsicle. So fantastically delicious!!
I made a video for you guys to show you how simple they are to make, and to show how the batter really is like regular pancake batter. See?
Have you ever tried the omelet/crepe type of protein pancakes?
Does the combination of citrus and vanilla remind you of a creamsicle?
Yum!!! Low Carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada Bake from Ambitious Kitchen
I’m loving the photography of these Vegan Breakfast Power Bowls with Citrus from Blissful Basil
Loving the propping in these images and the yummy looking Salted Caramel Scotcheroos from Broma Bakery.
Thick and Chewy Smoked Sea Salt Pistachio and Chocolate Chunk Cookies. I die. Via Joanne Eats Well With Others.Print
These Tangerine Protein Pancakes are naturally gluten-free and have 9 grams of protein each. And they’re made from totally normal ingredients like oats and eggs with an added bright kick from the tangerines for a perfect Winter breakfast!
- 2 tangerines or small oranges
- 2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- cooking spray, avocado oil or coconut oil
- Cut the skin and pith off one tangerine and cut the flesh into small chunks or segments. Set aside. Grate about half of the zest from the remaining tangerine, then squeeze the juice from it.
- Combine oats, cottage cheese, egg whites, eggs, the zest and the juice in a blender and blend until completely creamy and smooth, about 1 minute on high. Add the tangerine chunks, vanilla and baking soda and pulse to combine.
- Heat a large griddle or skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat with cooking spray or brush lightly with avocado oil or coconut oil. Ladle ¼ cups-full of the batter onto hot griddle (it will spread out to 4-inch circles.) Let cook, undisturbed until browned on the bottom and the edges are slightly dry, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip pancakes with a spatula and let cook on the other side until the center is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 216 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 9 g