gluten free date bread with coffee and ginger
Do you ever get an idea in your head and it just won’t go away until you do something about it? Well that’s why I’m making you look at sharing this date bread recipe. I have been obsessed! Obsessed I say! I have been thinking about date bread (and specifically gluten free date bread with coffee and ginger in it) for a few weeks.
The origin of the obsession goes back to the fact that my daughter is turning seven and she wants a fancy tea party for her birthday party. I have been collecting ideas for it on Pinterest and studying our favorite Fancy Nancy books.
One of the ideas in Fancy Nancy was to make little date bread canapés with banana as a tea party finger sandwich. My daughter loved the idea, and frankly I did too. [Hidden agenda, my in-laws are coming over in the morning too to see the birthday girl, so I figured if I made a couple of date breads, I could kill two birds with one stone.] And that’s all it took and I started to obsess.
This is how my swirl of recipe developing obsession went:
We read Fancy Nancy, I think Hmm, I love date bread.
I should do that for the party for sure.
I didn’t have my own healthy date bread recipe.
And then I started thinking about how I could make it super awesome.
Oh, I know! I could make it with coffee to soften the dates and give it rich flavor without extra calories.
And I’d really like to make it SPECIAL and add some candied ginger, because did you know that candied ginger and dates are like totally BFFs?
And then and then and then….
Then I was like, well, if I’m going to do all this, I should definitely make it friendly to all of my peeps out there who are gluten free. Right? Because I am a team player, right?
And coconut oil is all the rage these days. So I’ll have to use that for sure….
You get the idea. A little cray-cray.
So that’s what I did. And a few tests later, and my date bread is in your face I have a date bread of my own to share with you. No need to hold your Fancy Nancy Pinkies Up! Gobble it up my friends:)Print
Gluten-free date bread with brown rice flour and almond meal. Sweetened and studded with soft Medjool dates and flavored with coffee and ginger.
- 1 cup halved/pitted soft Medjool Dates (about 5 ¼ ounces, pitted)
- 1 cup hot coffee, can be decaf
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted if necessary
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour, any clumps broken up
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- ½ cup pitted chopped soft Medjool dates
- ¼ cup chopped soft candied ginger
- Place halved dates in blender pitcher. Pour coffee over the dates and let sit until 70 to 90 degrees, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Puree dates and coffee until smooth. Add egg, coconut oil, honey and vanilla and puree until smooth.
- Whisk rice flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt in a large bowl. Break up any clumps. Pour in date mixture. Stir until completely smooth and moist. Fold in pecans, chopped dates and candied ginger. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool on rack in pan about an hour. Turn out and let cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g