This easy Kale Caesar salad made with Lacinato kale (sometimes called Tuscan kale or Dinosaur kale) is an easy 15 minute way to enjoy raw kale and is a great side salad to enjoy with a variety of meals.
1 small clove garlic
¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 anchovies, chopped
¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 bunches lacinato kale,13- 14 ounces (about 12 cups chopped)
2 cups croutons, either homemade or purchased
- Peel and mince garlic clove. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt over the garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife to form a smooth paste. Scrape garlic paste into a food processor or blender. Add anchovies, ¼ cup oil, ¼ cup cheese, lemon juice, Dijon and pepper and puree until smooth and pale yellow, about 30 seconds.
- Remove and discard thick ribs and stems of kale and tear or chop into bite-size pieces. Wash and spin dry in a salad spinner.
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Using clean hands massage until the leaves are softened and dark green, about 1 minute.
- Pour the dressing and some of the remaining cheese over the kale and toss to coat.
- Add croutons and cheese and toss to combine. Add additional salt and pepper to taste if desired. Divide among 4 plates to serve.
Make Ahead: Croutons can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store in an airtight container until ready to enjoy. Dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store in a jar in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before tossing with the salad.
- Serving Size: 2 1/3 cups
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 6 g