This easy pureed Zucchini Soup with yogurt, dill and basil is a delicious and healthy vegetarian recipe. Serve it hot or chilled with fresh bread for a complete meal.
For The Soup
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
2 large sweet onions, diced
1 ½ teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
2 pounds zucchini, cut into ½-inch slices
1 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon each chopped fresh dill and basil
For the Topping
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ear of corn, cut off the cob
1 cup finely diced zucchini
1 scallion, sliced
Chopped fresh dill and basil, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a large heavy Dutch oven. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often until the onions are starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add in garlic, and cook, stirring until fragrant but not burning, about 1 minute.
- Add in white wine, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 90 seconds. Add in broth and sliced zucchini, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until the zucchini is very tender, about 8 to 10minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a large blender. Use caution when blending hot liquids! Puree until creamy and smooth, about 20 seconds. Transfer to another pot or bowl. Repeat by pureeing the remaining zucchini mixture. Alternatively puree with an immersion blender.
- Whisk yogurt into the zucchini soup along with 1 tablespoon dill and basil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and finely diced zucchini and cook, stirring often until the zucchini and corn is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in scallion, and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Drizzle with additional oil and top with several spoonfuls of the topping. Add on additional dill and basil and sprinkle with pepper and serve.
This soup has yogurt in it, so it is best not to boil it when you reheat it. Stir it over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed soup pot until it is steaming hot. You can also heat it in the microwave for about 2 minutes per bowl. (Stir halfway through.)
If you are planning to freeze this soup, we suggest waiting to add the yogurt. Without the yogurt, it freezes well and can be reheated on the stovetop. Then whisk in the yogurt before serving. The topping is best when freshly made.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 12 g