This basic recipe for Whole Wheat Bread has a brilliant technique that allows you to get two gorgeous and delicious loaves on the table in just over an hour… start to finish! With only 6 ingredients there’s no excuse not to make this fast, nutritious, homemade whole wheat bread.
- 4 cups (1 lb, 1 oz or 482 g) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 cups (9 oz or 255 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) instant or active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (18g) kosher salt (if using table salt, reduce to 1 1/2 teaspoons (9g)
- 2 cups (480 ml) very warm water (about 120 degrees)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Mix the flours, yeast, sugar, salt, water, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl with a sturdy spoon until a shaggy dough forms, then knead until the dough comes together and becomes smooth, about 4 minutes by hand or machine.
- Form a smooth dough ball. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 15-25 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and form into two tight dough balls or loaf shapes. You can place the balls or loaves directly on a rimmed baking sheet or in standard-size loaf pans. Press down slightly to flatten them, then dust a teaspoon of flour over each loaf, rubbing with your hands to distribute the flour. Slash the tops of the loaves three times.
- Place the loaves on the middle rack of a cold oven with a pan of hot tap water on the rack below it. Close the oven, set the heat at 400 degrees, and set the timer for 40 minutes. It is imperative that you start this in a cold oven!
- After 40 minutes, remove the bread from the oven and transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Cool the bread completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
If using a loaf pan, coat with cooking spray before adding the dough. If you use a baking sheet without parchment, you do not need to spray it, but let the bread cool on the pan for several minutes, or it will stick. After a few minutes it will release.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 loaf
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 291 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: whole wheat bread,1 hour bread