No mayo was used to make this vegan potato salad with herbs. Just a simple oil and vinegar dressing and herbs turn this summer side dish into a treat.
- 4 pounds medium red or gold potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cup finely diced celery hearts
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives or minced scallions
- ¼ cup finely chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- Steam potatoes in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment, covered, until tender when pierced with a fork, 13 to 17 minutes.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar (if using), salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the hot potatoes and toss to coat. Let cool, stirring occasionally until room temperature, about 45 minutes.
- Add celery, parsley, scallions, sun dried tomatoes (if using), and dill and toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 12 hours.
To make this potato salad in advance, simply prepare through step 2, cover and refrigerate up to one day ahead. Continue with step three as directed.
Look for potatoes that are smooth skinned, firm to the touch and do not have any sprouting “eyes.” For potato salad use waxy potatoes like red, yellow, white or purple instead of russet (baking) potatoes for the best finished texture.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 268 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg