These mini taco salads, or tacito salads are the cheekiest little appetizer bites. They are naturally gluten-free and vegetarian and loaded with sharp cheddar cheese and fresh veggies.
- 18 6-inch corn tortillas (see ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup creamy dressing such as yogurt cumin seed dressing or light italian
- ½ avocado diced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Cut tortillas into 36 2-inch rounds with a sharp biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 15 to 25 seconds until warm and very pliable. Brush oil over the tortilla rounds. Press 24 tortilla rounds into the muffin tins, oiled side up. Bake until crispy, 9 to 11 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining 12 tortilla rounds. (Alternatively, substitute purchased tortilla scoops)
- Combine romaine, cheddar, tomatoes and cilantro in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among the taco cups. Garnish with avocado, olives and pepitas. Serve immediately.
Ingredient note: Save time and substitute purchased tortilla scoops instead.
- Serving Size: 2 bites
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 329 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g