Don’t be intimidated by the name, these slow cooker short ribs take only 15 minutes to get into the crockpot. Then they become meltingly tender and so spicy and sweet! I love the flavor and the umami sauce with mushroom and soy.
- 1 ¾ – 2 pounds beef short ribs, cut between the bone into 4 portions* (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided
- 2 8-ounce containers sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Generous pinch red chili flake
- Chopped scallions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ribs, and sear until browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer the ribs, bone-side down, to the insert of a large slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often until starting to release their juices. Remove from heat and stir in coconut sugar, Bragg’s Aminos or soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil and red chili flake. Pour the mushrooms over the ribs (do not stir.) Cover and set timer on low for 6 hours.
- Gently remove ribs to four plates with tongs. Spoon fat off sauce. Serve ribs with sauce on top and scallions and sesame seeds added for garnish.
*With the bone, 1 ¾ pounds of bone-in short ribs will give you 4 portions of cooked meat. Depending on how you purchase them you will have either 8 small or 4 standard ribs
Keywords: slow cooker short ribs, easy short rib recipe