Spinach and Feta Filo Pie is the perfect vegetarian main course for a special occasion, a holiday, or a Sunday supper. This show-stopping dish with its perfectly flaky crust is perfectly spiced and full of spinach, feta, fresh mint, and parsley. This dish is one that your whole family is going to love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (6 ounces)
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper (preferably white pepper)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry (or 3 10-ounce bags)
- One 16-ounce box filo pastry (13 by 17-inches), thawed
- 8 tablespoons melted unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 1 stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl.
- Add the parsley, eggs, feta, mint, dill, salt, pepper and nutmeg to the bowl and stir to combine. Squeeze any remaining moisture from spinach, and it to the bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Unfold filo and set on a slightly damp cloth. Layer a second slightly damp cloth over it to prevent the filo from drying out as you work. Coat a deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray (or brush with butter.)
- Place two sheets of filo into the pie plate, pressing it into the corners of the pie plate. Brush with butter. Repeat with a second sheet of filo, placing it down about 45 degrees from the previous sheet. Brush with butter. Continue adding sheets and buttering until all but 4 sheets are in the bottom of the pie plate.
- Spread the filling into the filo shell.
- Layer and butter the remaining four filo sheets over the pie, offsetting them as before.
- Roll the edges of the pie up along the edges to form a ruffled 2-inch-wide lip along the edge of the pie plate. Brush it and the top of the pie with any remaining butter.
- Bake until the crust is deeply golden brown, and an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees F in the center of the pie, 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.
To Make In A 9 by 13-inch Casserole Dish
Layer the filo in the casserole dish without rotating the sheets as you would for the round version. Instead, layer each set of two directly aligned on the butter brushed layer before. Roll the edges or ruffle them along the edge of the dish. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1/8 pie
- Calories: 407
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: Spanakopita Recipe, Greek Spinach Pie,Spinach Feta FIlo Pie