These Spicy Shrimp and Cheese Grits with Tomatoes are a fast, delicious and healthy weeknight dinner. The shrimp are sauced in spicy tomatoes with garlic and spooned over creamy cheesy grits. It’s naturally gluten-free and ready in 17 minutes flat!
- 3 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup Corn Grits
- 1 cup shredded Pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- pinch garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, tails removed if desired (41–50 ct)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Goya or Franks, or to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over high heat. Gradually whisk in corn grits. Bring to a simmer, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer stirring with a silicone spatula until the mixture is very thick, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in Pepper jack cheese until melted. Add half and half, garlic powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp in a single layer, and cook, undisturbed until seared and bright pink on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn shrimp over and let cook on the other side until the shrimp is just cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Remove shrimp to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic and cook, stirring until the garlic is fragrant. Immediately add diced tomatoes, and cook, scraping up browned bits from the skillet until the mixture simmers. Stir in tomato paste, hot sauce and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt until the tomato paste is no longer clumpy. Stir in the cooked shrimp and any accumulated juices from the plate. Heat shrimp through and remove from the heat.
- Serve the grits hot with the shrimp and tomato sauce on top. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1180 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 32 g