This slow cooker Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes has peppers, corn and black beans. Top it with your favorite vegan toppings or add cheese or sour cream.
3 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium sweet onion, diced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
½ cup beer (mild style such as lager) or vegetable broth
2 bell peppers, diced (any color)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cup frozen sweet corn
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, yogurt or sour cream, scallions, cilantro, toasted pepitas, minced red onions
1. Sauté: Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often until the onion starts to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Bloom Spices: Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle on chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne and stir into onions. Cook, stirring often until the spices are fragrant, about 90 seconds.
3. Deglaze: Pour in beer and remove from the heat.
4. Combine in the Slow Cooker: Combine onion mixture, peppers, sweet potatoes and canned tomatoes in the insert of a large slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
5. Cook: Cover and set for 8 hours on low heat.
6. Add Beans and Corn: When timer has 1 hour remaining stir in kidney beans, black beans and corn.
7. Cook: Continue cooking for the remaining hour.
8. Serve: Ladle into bowls and top with optional topping.
If you have leftovers, transfer to a resealable container and leave loosely covered. Refrigerate until cold, then seal the lid. Can be made up to 4 days ahead.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir well to prevent hot spots.
Can be frozen up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator for 1 full day before reheating.
Individually frozen portions can be thawed and reheated in the microwave. Break apart the chili as it thaws.
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
- Calories: 258 calories
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 10 g