A slow-cooker Chicken Coconut Soup inspired by Tom Kha Gai, with the addition of healthy vegetables, and gluten-free cellophane noodles to make it a hearty meal for a busy weeknight.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or home-made chicken stock
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, such as Golden Boy
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ hot red chili, minced, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 ounces sliced stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ounces rice cellophane noodles
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil or Thai basil
- Whisk broth, coconut milk, maple syrup, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, garlic, hot chili and salt in the insert of a large slow cooker. Add ginger and chicken thighs. Add bell pepper and mushrooms on top. Cover and cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.
- Remove 2 pieces of ginger. Stir in Napa cabbage and scallions. Break cellophane noodles into two pieces and submerge into liquid as much as possible. Continue cooking on low for 30 more minutes.
- Stir to combine, breaking up large chunks of chicken. Stir in cilantro and basil. Serve hot.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. However, I would recommend eating it as soon as possible. Since the noodles are already in the broth, they will get softer the longer they sit.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: soup
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 16
- Fat: 28
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 20
Keywords: Thai Chicken Soup,Slow Cooker Chicken Coconut Soup,Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup,Chicken and Coconut Soup