Slow cooker beef stew with carrots, potatoes and onions. This hearty stew has the addition of shiitake mushrooms and Chinese 5-spice powder. Top bowls with fresh mung bean sprouts, scallions and sesame seeds for garnish.
- 1 pound beef stew meat (1-inch chunks), preferably grass-fed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or avocado oil, divided
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 4-ounces sliced fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake or white
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice
- ½ cup dry sherry or Shao Shing wine
- 1 32 ounce box chicken broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 large russet potato (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or pure dark maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Toasted sesame seeds, chopped scallions, mung bean sprouts
- Pat meat dry with clean paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat in a single layer, and cook, undisturbed, until seared and brown on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn beef pieces over with tongs and sear well on a second side, about 4 minutes. Stir beef and continue cooking until mostly browned, and the pan is starting to darken with fond, 2 to 4 minutes more. Scrape the beef into the slow cooker and return the skillet to the heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onion, mushrooms and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often until the mushrooms and onions are browning, and starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 5-spice powder and stir to coat. Cook, stirring until fragrant. Add sherry (or shao shing) and stir up any browned bits from the skillet. Add broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Pour the mushroom mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add carrots, celery, potato, coconut sugar and crushed red pepper to the slow cooker, stir and cover. Plug in slow cooker and set to low 4 ½ hours.
- 30 minutes before timer goes off, stir ¼ cup cold water and arrowroot in a small dish. Stir arrowroot slurry into the stew, stirring constantly. Cover and allow to finish cooking the remaining 30 minutes.
- Serve stew in bowls with optional garnishes on top.
65 mg Cholesterol, 4 g Added Sugar
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 690 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 26 g