These Shrimp and Corn Grits are full of flavor with the addition of salsa and extra sharp cheddar. And you can have them on the table in under 40 minutes, which makes them a great weeknight meal!
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup grits, such as arrowhead mills organic yellow grits
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, ¼ cup sliced greens separated
- ¾ cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kernels from 6 ears sweet corn, about 4 cups
- pinch ground chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces small peeled and de-veined shrimp, such as frozen thawed wild Maine
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Prepare cheese grits: Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Gradually sprinkle in grits and ½ teaspoon salt, return to a simmer, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low or to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ¼ cup sliced scallion greens, cheese, salsa and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, prepare shrimp and corn: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, the remaining scallions, chipotle or cayenne and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the corn is piping hot all the way through and the scallions are wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, stirring often until the shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in tomatoes.
- Serve the grits with the shrimp and corn.
How to reheat leftover grits:
Add them to a pot over low heat and gradually add water until you get the consistency you want. Do not heat for more than 2-3 minutes to avoid burning them.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup grits and 1 1/2 cups shrimp and corn
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Protein: 20 g