Shrimp and Corn with Cheese Grits
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup grits, such as arrowhead mills organic yellow grits
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, ¼ cup sliced greens separated
- ¾ cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kernels from 6 ears sweet corn, about 4 cups
- pinch ground chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces small peeled and de-veined shrimp, such as frozen thawed wild Maine
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Prepare cheese grits: Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Gradually sprinkle in grits and ½ teaspoon salt, return to a simmer, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low or to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ¼ cup sliced scallion greens, cheese, salsa and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, prepare shrimp and corn: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, the remaining scallions, chipotle or cayenne and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the corn is piping hot all the way through and the scallions are wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, stirring often until the shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in tomatoes.
- Serve the grits with the shrimp and corn.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup grits and 1 1/2 cups shrimp and corn
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Protein: 20 g