This chicken marinade recipe with allspice, cloves and onion is easily the best chicken marinade EVER. It has sweet Island spices, soy sauce and brown sugar and makes the most irresistible grilled chicken, pork, steak, shrimp or tofu.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¾ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- ½ cup red-wine vinegar
- Heat olive and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook, removing lid to stir often, until the onions are softened but not browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, allspice, thyme, pepper, cloves, cinnamon and cayenne and remove from the heat.
- Stir in soy sauce or tamari and red wine vinegar. Cool completely before marinating meat.
Marinating Times: 15 to 30 minutes for seafood or tofu. 2 to 24 hours for chicken or pork. 4 to 24 hours for steak. Discard used marinade and do not re-use.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 31
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 13 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g