A healthy twist on raspberry tart with deep chocolate flavor and whole grain hazelnut crust made with coconut oil.
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar or sugar
- 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1–2 tablespoons water, if necessary
- 2 teaspoons cocoa, if necessary
chocolate raspberry filling
- 1 ¼ cup non-fat milk, divided
- ¼ cup dark maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 pints raspberries
- confectioners sugar and whipped cream for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray. Set the pan on a baking sheet.
- Make Crust: Process hazelnuts and sugar in a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment until finely ground. Add white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt and pulse to combine. Open lid and add coconut oil. Close processor and pulse until it looks like very coarse meal. Beat egg in a small dish. Drizzle the egg mixture down the feed tube while pulsing and process just until the crust mixture looks sandy and crumbly. Squeeze a handful of the crumbs together to test if it holds together. If it doesn’t clump, drizzle on 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water and pulse to incorporate it into the crust.
- Press crust mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan flattening out with the back of your fingers. Prick the crust with a fork to create air holes to allow steam to escape. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until lightly browned along the edges, 18 to 22 minutes. Set baking sheet on a wire rack to cool. If the crust is very cracked, brush 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder into the docking holes with a pastry brush.
- Make Filling: Heat 1 cup milk in a medium saucepan over medium high heat until steaming. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ¼ cup milk, maple syrup, corn starch and cocoa powder in a small bowl until the dry ingredients are completely moistened and the mixture is lump free. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the steaming milk. Bring milk to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in chocolate, Frangelico, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth. Set saucepan in a medium bowl of ice water to cool the filling quickly while stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula.
- Spread the chocolate filling in the crust. Decorate with raspberries. Remove sides of the tart pan before slicing. Serve sprinkled with confectioners sugar and with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.