Healthy chicken piccata recipe with lemon, capers, white wine and parsley. A delicious and healthy version of classic Italian lemon chicken.
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 teaspoons drained capers
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Cut lemon in half. Juice half of it, and cut the remaining half into thin slices. Cut chicken breasts into 8 thin cutlets.*
- Whisk flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish or pie plate. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture, turning to coat. Discard 2 teaspoons dredging flour and reserve the rest to thicken the sauce in step 5.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until the bottom is browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and the remaining 4 pieces of dredged chicken, adjusting the heat to medium-low to prevent the chicken from burning. Transfer the second batch of chicken to the plate.
- Wipe out skillet with a clean paper towel. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and place the skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often until soft and browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown, 30 to 90 seconds.
- Sprinkle the remaining dredging flour over the onion mixture and stir to coat. Stir in broth, white wine, capers, the lemon slices and the lemon juice, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices from the plate to the skillet and turn to coat in the sauce. Bring to a simmer while turning the chicken in the sauce until the sauce is thickened, and the chicken is completely cooked through and hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, remove from the heat and serve.
*Look for “thin cut” chicken breast at the supermarket to save a step of cutting the chicken.
*The skillet will heat up gradually while you are browning the chicken. By the second batch you’ll likely need to adjust the heat. If the chicken becomes dark quickly or smokes, make sure to turn down the heat as you go.
- Serving Size: 2 slices chicken and 1/3 cup sauce
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 28 g