This creamy chicken a la king is a healthy makeover of the classic comfort food dish and is loaded with fresh vegetables and only a splash of half-and-half. Pasta replaces the fussy puff pastry, so that it comes together in just 30 minutes making it a perfect weeknight meal!
- 8 ounces pappardelle pasta or whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 large chicken breasts, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil or avocado oil
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook whole-wheat egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain well and keep hot.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breast in a medium saucepan and cover completely with cold tap water. Place over high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, turning in the poaching liquid occasionally until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and cooked through, 12 to 16 minutes, depending on thickness of the meat. Remove the chicken and cut into cubes.
- While pasta and chicken cook, heat butter and oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to melt butter. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened and released their juices, and the juices have evaporated and the vegetables are starting to brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add sherry to the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring until evaporated. Stir in flour to coat the vegetable mixture. Add broth and cook, stirring constantly until the flour is dissolved into the broth. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Add chicken and return to a simmer, stirring often until the chicken is heated through and the sauce is thick. Remove from the heat and stir in half and half.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the noodles. Top with almonds and parsley. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups chicken and about 7 oz. noodles
- Calories: 590
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 52 g