This Healthy Blueberry Lemon Bread is sweet and lemony and bursting with blueberries. It is made with whole-wheat flour and is lower in sugar and fat.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 egg yolk
- zest from 1 lemon plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar
- 2/3 cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 1.5 quart loaf pan (8.5 by 4.5 by 2.5 inches) with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Whisk egg yolk, zest, lemon juice, sugar, oil, orange juice, vanilla and almond extract in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Beat egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whites into the batter
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds. Transfer to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool in the pan 25 minutes before running a knife along the edges and turning out, cool right-side-up on wire rack.
To prevent the bread from collapsing, set the timer for 55 minutes and then check it. If a toothpick comes out with batter on it, keep baking for another five minutes. Then check again. Checking too often will allow the temperature in the oven to fall and the center of the loaf will collapse.
- Serving Size: 1/12 loaf
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g