Burgers made from ground chicken, seasoned with za’atar and topped with cucumber mint tzatziki, lettuce and tomato! Get those grills fired up my friends! They’re a middle-eastern flavored burger mash-up you won’t want to miss.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 hamburger buns, whole-grain or gluten-free if desired
- 1 ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons za’atar seasoning
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, preferably whole milk
- 1 small clove garlic, grated with a rasp-style grater
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint plus a few extra leaves for serving
- 4 small leaves lettuce
- 4 thin slices ripe tomato
- 4 rings red onion, or to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Form chicken into four patties, about 3-inches wide by ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper. Sprinkle with za’atar seasoning.
- Oil grill rack and add the chicken burgers. Grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill bun if desired.
- Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, garlic and vinegar and the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Grate cucumber with a box grater and set in a fine mesh sieve. Press on cucumber to extra excess liquid. Mix the cucumber and mint into the yogurt mixture.
- Serve the chicken burgers on the buns with lettuce, tomato, onion and the tzatziki sauce.
After your dust your burgers with salt and the spice mix, then you’ll want to oil the grill rack. I should mention that the grill should be hot and brushed clean at this point. To do that, soak a paper towel in oil, then hold it with tongs and run the paper towel over the racks (pull it toward you- to avoid getting burnt by a flare-up.)
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 310 cals
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: Chicken burgers,Zaatar chicken burgers,grilled chicken burgers