Here is how to make an easy gluten-free stuffing with traditional flavors of sage, cranberry, walnut and celery. It is made with quinoa has fresh kale it it!
- 5 ½ cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine No-Chicken, divided
- 2 ½ cups rinsed quinoa, rinsed if necessary *see ingredient note
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Bring 5 cups broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add quinoa, salt and pepper and return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the quinoa is tender and the broth is absorbed, 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit undisturbed 5 minutes. Remove lid, stir in kale, cover and let sit.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until the onion is very soft and starting to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic, sage, thyme and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds. Add celery and the remaining ½ cup broth, and cook, stirring often until the celery is crisp-tender and the liquid is mostly evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir quinoa mixture, the celery mixture, walnuts and cranberries together in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the mixture is hot, the celery and kale are tender and the top is golden along the edges, 22 to 30 minutes.
To make ahead: Can be prepared through step 4 up to 24 hours in advance. Heat covered with foil for 20 minutes before removing foil and continuing with directions in step 5.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 743 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6 g