This easy chicken and rice soup is loaded with chicken flavor, tender brown rice, and lots of fresh dill. Dig in, this only takes 40 minutes to make!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice (such as brown jasmine), rinsed
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season thighs with kosher salt and black pepper. Once oil is shimmering, add thighs, skin side down in pot, and cook, without moving, until skin is deeply golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes. Flip and cook 2 more minutes; transfer thicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in rice, cook 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic; season with 1 teaspoon salt and cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, remove and discard chicken skin.
- Add broth and chicken (and any accumulated juices) to pot, bring to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl and continue to simmer soup until rice is tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and shred meat into small pieces using two forks; discard bones.
- Add shredded chicken, dill and lemon juice to pot; season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can get this on the table, start to finish, in 40 minutes. To do this, starch browning the chicken thighs before prepping anything else. While those are browning, prep the veggies and rinse the rice—no wasted time!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 24 g
Keywords: chicken and rice soup, easy chicken and rice soup