Deep dish double crust maple apple pie, a fool-proof recipe for Thanksgiving dessert. Blue ribbon pie making instructions for beginners and a healthy crust!
- 1 ¾ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- ½ cup to ¾ cup ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspooons turbinado sugar
- 3.5 pounds apples, peeled cored and sliced *see note
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- Make crust: Pulse whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, maple sugar and salt in food processor. Add butter, and process until the butter is cut in and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Open lid, drizzle on oil and pulse to combine. Open lid and drizzle on ½ cup ice water. Process until the mixture just comes together. If the mixture seems dry or does not come together as a ball, try squeezing a handful of the crumbs together. If it still won’t come together, add up to ¼ cup more ice water. Divide dough in half and form into two disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Arrange oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Make Filling: Toss Macintosh apples, firm apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour. Roll one dough disk out to a circle, about 14-inches across. Transfer to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Press dough gently into corners of the pie plate. Add apple filling to the pie shell, arranging so they are as compact as possible. Roll the second dough disk out to a circle, about 12 inches across. Lay over the apple filling. Roll edges under, and crimp edges to make fluted edge. Brush egg yolk over the crust. Sprinkle with turbinado. Cut five 1-inch long steam vents in the top of the pie.
- Place pie on the prepared baking sheet. Bake pie until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling out the vents a bit, 60 to 80 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until room temperature before cutting.
Note* My recommendation is to use 4 large Macintosh apples and
4 firm apples, such as Honey Crisp, Mutsu or Ginger Gold. About 1.75 pounds each. The macs will break down and become very juicy the firm apples will hold their shape and give great texture.
- Serving Size: 1/10 pie
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 45 g
- Sodium: 132 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 81 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 5 g