Clean Eating Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry with Peppers and Chinese 5 Spice. Gather your ingredients, chop your veggies and stir your sauce before you start cooking, because this stir-fry comes together quickly once you start to cook! It is sugar free, paleo and whole-30 approved.
- 1 pound grass-fed beef NY strip steak or sirloin, patted dry with paper towels
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 ¼ cup reduced sodium chicken broth, chicken bone broth or home-made chicken stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 bell peppers, any color, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, cut into small florets (about 6 cups)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake, or to taste
- Cut beef into bite-sized strips, about the size of a small domino. Discard any large chunks of fat as you go. Sprinkle with salt and white pepper and turn to coat.
- Stir ¼ cup broth, vinegar and tapioca in a small dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add beef, in a single layer and allow to sear until browned on one side, 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Turn over with a spatula and let sear on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the beef, and any juices, to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok or skillet and swirl to coat the cooking surface. Add peppers, broccoli, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly until the garlic starts to brown, about 1 ½ minutes. Add Chinese Five Spice and crushed red pepper and toss to coat. Add the remaining 1 cup broth, stir and cover. Cook, removing lid to stir occasionally, until the vegetabes are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Re-stir the tapioca slurry and add to the stir-fry while stirring. Continue cooking and stirring until the broccoli just tender and the sauce is thickened. Stir in the beef and juices and cook until heated through, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 31 g