Steamed Brussels sprouts tossed with garlic sizzled in olive oil and butter with fresh chopped oregano and sage and toasted hazelnuts. It is delicious stove-top vegetable side dish!
- 10 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (2 ¼ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano and sage
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Bring one to two inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan or soup pot fitted with a steamer basket.
- Steam Brussels sprouts, covered, until they are tender when pierced with a knife, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until the garlic is fragrant, about 90 seconds. Swirl in oregano and sage, and remove from the heat.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts and garlic mixture, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add hazelnuts and toss to coat.
This recipe can be prepped one day in advance in the following way:
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them.
- Cut the garlic, sage and store them separately in the refrigerator.
- The nuts can also be toasted and chopped ahead as well.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 113
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g