Steamed Brussels sprouts tossed with garlic sizzled in olive oil and butter with fresh chopped oregano and sage and toasted hazelnuts. A delicious low carb and gluten free vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving or the holidays.
- 10 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (2 ¼ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano and sage
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Bring one to two inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan or soup pot fitted with a steamer basket.
- Steam Brussels sprouts, covered, until they are tender when pierced with a knife, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until the garlic is fragrant. Swirl in oregano and sage, and remove from the heat.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts and garlic mixture, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add hazelnuts and toss to coat.
Carbohydrate: 10 g. Fiber: 4 g. Sat Fat: 2 g. Sodium: 200.
- Calories: 113
- Fat: 8 g.