Making French toast with whole wheat bread is incredibly easy to make and requires only a few basic kitchen staples. Whole Wheat French Toast is a perfect healthy breakfast because of its high fiber and protein content, so it’ll keep you satisfied all morning long!
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, preferably 1 to 2 days old
- Cooking spray or neutral cooking oil
- Whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a 8-inch square baking dish.
- Coat non-stick skillet or griddle with cooking spray or brush with 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Dip bread into the egg, and flip over in the batter. Let soak for about 15 seconds for soft bread and 45 seconds for more dense bread. Gently lift the bread out of the batter and allow excess egg to drip off. Transfer to the skillet or griddle. Repeat with remaining slices of bread until the skillet or griddle is full.
- Let the French toast cook on the first side until the bottom is browned, about 2 minutes. Flip over and let cook until the second side is browned and the batter is cooked along the edges of the French toast, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a sheet pan or plate and keep warm. Wipe the skillet or griddle if necessary and recoat with cooking spray or brush with more oil. Dip the remaining bread in the remaining batter and repeat cooking, adjusting the heat down to medium-low if the skillet starts to smoke.
Freeze on a baking sheet and then once solid transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Freeze up to 1 month. Microwave 2 slices, side-by-side on a microwave-safe plate for 2 minutes.
Or, you can prepare it ahead of time if you mix the batter and keep it covered and refrigerated for up to three days ahead of cooking.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Active Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 18.2 g
Keywords: whole wheat French toast, French toast with whole wheat bread, French toast wheat bread, wheat bread French toast