When it comes to being snackable, delicious and irresistible, banana bread wins. And when you make it 100% whole wheat banana bread you get the added health benefits of whole grains.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, preferably white whole wheat *see ingredient note
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe or over-ripe bananas, about 3 large
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large glass loaf pan with cooking spray or line with parchment.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk banana, eggs, oil and maple syrup, brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture with a silicone spatula.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes.
- Let loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
Make Ahead: Can be kept at room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap up to three days. We suggest warming each slice in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds. You can also reheat the whole loaf in the oven, wrapped in foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
This bread can be frozen up to 1 month. Wrap in foil and then place in a plastic freezer bag. Make sure to press out as much air as possible. Unwrap to prevent getting soggy and defrost on the counter for 4 hours. Wrap again in plastic to store at room temperature. For the best texture, warm the loaf up as directed in the oven before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Active Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/9th loaf
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: whole wheat banana bread, wheat banana bread, whole wheat banana bread recipe, banana bread recipe with whole wheat flour