These Vegan Tacos are ready in just 20 minutes. They are made with sautéed veggies and black beans and topped with all the best plant-based toppings.
8 soft corn tortillas or 8 hard taco shells
2 tablespoons avocado oil
2 portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed and sliced into thin strips
2 sliced bell peppers, any color
1 small red onion, sliced
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup water or more if needed to thin
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup guacamole
¼ cup salsa
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil or lay taco shells on baking sheet. Bake until warm, about 10 minutes.
3. While the tortillas warm, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pepper, onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over the vegetables and stir to coat. Cook, stirring until the spices are fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomato paste and water and stir until the tomato paste forms a thick coating sauce on the vegetables. Add more water if necessary, to desired thinness. Stir in beans and cook until the mixture is heated through, about 1 minute.
5. Divide the vegetables mixture among the tortillas. Top with guacamole and salsa. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
To Make Without Mushrooms:
Skip the mushrooms in step 3. Add 1 extra cup beans or 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels in step 4.
To Make In Advance
The filling will keep in the fridge for 3 days. Warm in the microwave or in a skillet with a couple tablespoons of water until steaming hot.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos (made with 1/2 cup filling each)
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 9 g