These easy microwave Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers have Italian flavors including basil, garlic, tomatoes, olives and Fontina cheese.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning herb blend *see Note
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
6 bell peppers, any color
1 8-ounce package cooked brown rice or 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
1 14-ounce can kidney or cannellini beans
1 cup tomato sauce (or 1–8 ounce can)
½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
¼ cup chopped black olives, optional
½ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish if desired
6 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- Cook Onions and Garlic: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside 2 tablespoons red onion for garnish. Add onion, garlic and salt to the skillet and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add in Italian seasoning and fennel seeds. Remove from the heat and scrape into a bowl.
- Par-Cook Peppers: Meanwhile, cut off pepper tops and remove the seed core. Set peppers in a casserole dish and add ½ cup water. Cover with a layer of parchment and then a layer of plastic wrap. Microwave until just beginning to soften, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain liquid and set peppers cut side up in the casserole dish.
- Make Filling: Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, olives and basil to onion mixture and stir to combine. Add ½ of the fontina cheese and stir to combine. Spoon filling into the peppers, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining Fontina cheese.
- Cook Stuffed Peppers: Microwave uncovered until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm with reserved red onion and chopped basil if desired.
If you do not have Italian Seasoning, you can substitute 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil.
Meal Prep Instructions
- Make the filling.
- Par-cook the peppers.
- Stuff the peppers, but do not top with cheese.
- Set in a casserole dish, cover and refrigerate up to two days ahead.
- When you are ready to serve them, make sure there is a little water in the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover the peppers with parchment and plastic. Microwave until they are warmed through.
- Remove the plastic and parchment and top with the remaining Fontina cheese.
- Microwave until the filling is steaming hot and the cheese on top is melted.
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 278 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 14 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 14 grams